As crafters, we are always looking for ways to make our Cricut projects better. It could be a better material, advances in Cricut cutting technology, or design software. But what about software that was meant for another cutting machine? Can you use Silhouette Studio with Cricut?
Yes, you can. However, before you start designing or purchasing Silhouette Studio, there are some things you should know. You need to make sure that Silhouette Studio is the right design program for you and your desired projects.
Cricut Design Space Facts
- One of Cricut Design Space’s biggest advantages is that crafters can import SVG files for free. You do not have to upgrade your software to work with designs from other crafters or other design programs. This saves crafters money while feeling like they can still customize their designs to their specs.
- The Cricut machines are built to work with iOS. The Cricut Maker has a mount and charging spot for your iPhone or iPad, which is convenient for many crafters who prefer working on their mobile devices.
- Cricut Design Space is a web-based program, meaning you will be doing most of your designing in a web browser. Now, if you have spotty internet or it goes completely out, you’re toast. However, the iOS app will continue to work if your internet is unreliable.
- Cricut Design Space is a better program for crafters who are not overly tech-savvy. Cricut is the better option if you want to easily upload designs or use designs you buy/find online.
Silhouette Studio Facts
- Silhouette Studio is not web-based, allowing you to use the software at any time. It doesn’t matter if your internet is too slow, goes down, or goes in and out. You can keep designing at your leisure.
- First-time users will find that Silhouette Studio has its own set of rules. It will take some time to learn all the program quirks. However, users have access to Silhouette Design Store to purchase designs.
- The biggest problem with Silhouette Studio is importing SVG files. Silhouette Studio Basic does not allow users to import SVG files or save things as SVG files. You have to pay to upgrade your software to have those privileges.
- Silhouette Studio is friendlier for crafters who like to create their own designs. This is especially true if you have complex designs.
Learning How to Use Silhouette Studio
Since Silhouette Studio is more technical, you will have a learning curve compared to Cricut Design Space’s usability. But, there are hundreds of online sources to help you get the hang of things. There are online books, YouTube videos, blogs, and videos made by Silhouette/Cricut users.
How to Use Silhouette Studio with Circuit
If the facts above haven’t scared you off, you might want to know how you can use Silhouette Studio software with your Cricut machine. Anyone can use Silhouette Studio as you do not need to purchase a Silhouette machine to receive the program. You can download the Basic program for free, but as mentioned before, you won’t be able to save the files in an SVG format.
Once you have upgraded your program from Basic, have fun designing. Follow the steps below to save your file in an SVG format which makes it Cricut compatible:
- Go to the Silhouette Studio’s File menu
- Click Save As
- Click Save to Hard Drive
- Change the file type to SVG
- Name your design and save
Finish by opening Cricut Design Space and uploading your newly created SVG design. Keep in mind that the Silhouette Studio designs will not cut on your Cricut machine and vice versa; downloading your new designs is essential to utilize the two programs together.
One Last Thing
The great thing about Silhouette Studio is that you do not need to have a Silhouette machine. You can purchase the design program at any point. You just need to be comfortable with the cost of upgrading the program so you can save designs in an SVG format. As long as you upgrade the program, you can design in Silhouette all you want and have Cricut do the cutting.
You also need to be willing to invest time in learning the unfamiliar program. If you already have a Cricut and use Cricut Design Space, you may not want to go back to learning the basics with Silhouette Studio. However, if you want the advantages Silhouette Studio offers, you may be more willing to learn new things. Just think of the new crafts you can make!